Monday, September 12, 2022

So I have learned something new that I want to share.  I am not sure where I learned this from, but I have incorporated it into my life and it is helping.

We all ask people to do things.  We all ask people for things.  Sometimes, I have feelings that "this might be a big ask."  Or, this might be inconvenient for them.

So rather than put them on the defensive by asking, I open with this statement:  "I have something to ask you... and I want to be sure that you know that 'no' is an acceptable answer."  I give them permission to say "No" before I even ask them.

They almost always say Yes, but giving them permission to say No totally deflates a potentially difficult situation.

Do you want to help me with...
It is ok to say No. And I still love you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: