Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Steven

A friend of mine is a volunteer in Kansas City for the program entitled Uplift. They have vans that go out into areas where homeless people live. They feed them and provide them essentials for life. She shared this story...

His Name is Steven

His backpack … he carried it on one shoulder, along with, likely, everything he owned. He waited in line for a few supplies and for us to serve him a plate of food.

His hair … it was long and dirty. Probably, it hadn’t been washed in 3 months--maybe those were dreads or maybe they were mats or maybe they were matted dreads. It was hard to tell.

His hands … they were dirtier than any words can describe. This was not the first time I’d seen him; actually, the last time I saw him was probably 3 years ago. Hard to image being homeless and living outside for that long, especially in Missouri.

His eyes … they were gentle and kind. I gave him a cup of lemonade. He smiled.

His glasses … they were coated with a thick layer of, maybe, filthy fingerprints upon more layers of the same.

I asked, “Would you mind if I cleaned your glasses?” He let me remove them from his face (I was that close to him). I found a paper towel and worked to get the lenses as clear as I could with no cleaning solution.

It was dark outside, maybe 9:30 pm, somewhere deep in Kansas City on the East side.

I took the glasses back to him … he was still waiting in the food line.

I asked him if I could place the glasses back on his face (we were that close). He nodded, so I slipped them up and over his ears.

He looked back at me with a gentle smile, and I felt an appreciation that I will not soon forget.

“Take care, Steven. Maybe we’ll see ya next time.”

[my comments follow]  Oh, my what a beautiful story.  Oh, that we could all find ways to touch another human being.  Everyone around us needs something.  Find a way to be there for someone.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to do the good.


No comments: