Friday, December 9, 2022

How did you get to be so kind

Years ago I asked a friend how they got to be so kind.  They said, "there was never a day in my life that I did not know that I was loved, and I had some really good mentors."   That told me that she was raised in an exceptionally loving home, and that she didn't just have good mentors, she listened to them.

A few weeks ago I asked another friend how they got to be so kind. This is part of their reply...

I've been thinking for a day trying to figure out an answer to your question about kindness. Here's what I came up with. My childhood was crappy too. In retrospect, I now believe my stepfather was a Narcicist and my mother was eventually beaten down and became reclusive. Our household was not kind and loving. Smiles did not abound. I learned by observation the power that words and attitudes have to hurt. A word spoken in haste and anger can never be retrieved. So early on, I learned to do differently than my parents did. That, coupled with a ready smile that was a gift from the Lord mixed with a little "do unto others" and the fact that I just genuinely love people, makes kindness come easy. Maybe when we consider the gifts of the spirit, I was just blessed with a lot of kindness, I don't know. Anyway, it's not something I dwell on or have to work at. It's just me. Sorry I'm not more profound. My brother in law was an evangelist and turned everyone off with his constant preaching. I decided I never wanted to be that kind of Christian. I truly believe that our eyes are the windows to our souls and when people make eye contact with me, I just want them to know that I really see them and I want them to see God's love in my eyes. I want them to think, wow, if that's being a Christian, whatever she has, I want some of that.

I loved it.

I hope that we can all find ways to be kind.  Whether we follow our parents example or not, there is a world where kindness reigns and we can enlarge it.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good. 

No comments: