Sunday, December 18, 2022

The fountain: determination and perseverance

When we bought the house on Oaks Ridge Lane in Lees Summit in 2004, it came with a very nice fountain.  After having that fountain for all of those years, we were hooked on a fountain by the front door.  So when we bought the Vero Beach house in 2015, we put in a fountain.  Over the years, the sandy Florida ground shifted and everything needed to be redone.  It was a big project.

Sometimes in life, we have big projects.  This was not as big as moving or adding on to the church, but it was a big job for a 65 year young man.  When I was younger, I took on big projects with glee.  These days, big projects take a little more time and perseverance.

And I guess that is what this blog is about.  Determination, hard work and perseverance.


Old fountain area.  The circle of pavers had settled.  The concrete base in the center which I poured in 2015 had to be removed.  Sometimes, in life, getting started is the hardest part.


Pavers are gone, old base is removed, notice fountain parts in pic.


New tub for the base.  This will allow the fountain to run longer without being refilled with water.


Framing and steel for the slab.  The concrete tools in the foreground belonged to my grandfather.  Paul Brinkman Sr who died in 1960.


11 bags of concrete later, the slab is poured.  Having a good foundation makes a big difference in life.
On a side note, working the math on this project was fun.  The circumference of a circle and the area of a circle all had to be figured and applied.  Someone asked if I was going to put my initials in the concrete.  The answer is no.  If my kids don't remember me for who I was, initials in a fountain are not going to help.

The new tub on the slab.  retaining wall stones have returned, now sitting on concrete.


Tile saw in the back of my [God's] 2006 Ford Pickup.  The cap stones had to be cut at an angle for the top.  A good tile saw can make someone look better than they are.  I don't use it very often, but when I need it, I am glad that it is there.

                                            Wall cap in process.


Done.  Well, I am going to reroute the cord over the tub but under the cap stones, but the job is basically done.

I have to tell you, I am proud of the work.  I find it so rewarding to see a thing that needs to be done, and do it.  Like Nike said, just do it.  It is nice to do something that I know will live on past me.

If you have a big project on the horizon, make your plans and then jump in. Stay with it until you are finished.  Determination and perseverance are gifts from God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


No comments: