Tuesday, March 7, 2023

a place to belong


So I flew to California last week to visit my sister.  We spent one day in San Francisco and one day in the redwoods.  I loved it.

We spent most of our time talking and catching up.  Visiting about our upbringing, and learning to navigate the adult world.  

One of the things that she said was, "I think that ultimately in this life, we are all just looking for a place to belong."

That resonated with me. We all just want a place to belong. Like in the Dr. Seuss books...
      Are you my mother?
      Do you like my hat?
      Just tell me that I am ok.

I think that this is why we love our friends.  Being with them, well it feels like home.  When we were young, home was this place that at its best, was  a safe place.  I was, in theory, cared about, fed, and kept safe.  At least that is what we hoped for.  

When our upbringing does not provide a safe and healthy place, I think that we spend the rest of our lives looking for that.

Anyway, as much as I possibly can, I want you to know that you have a friend in me.  A hug.  A smile.  A caring word.  May our time together feel like a homecoming.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: