Monday, March 6, 2023

Overcoming Fears

If a picture paints 1,000 words... 

I am not sure that these pictures will do justice to what I was experiencing.

A little background.  I am afraid of heights.  Acrophobia.  I don't know where this came from, but it has been a part of my life for a long time.  If I visit someone that lives on a high floor and you access their condo by an exterior walkway, I have to cling to the wall and stay away from the rail.

So, back to the story.  I had a handyman job last week.  One of the things that my client wanted me to do was to change out some smoke detectors.

Doesn't look too bad does it?

Well, this smoke detector is at the top of the stairs.  The first floor ceiling is 16' so add another 10' for the second floor, and I am 26' up in the air.  Up in the air, right next to the stairs.  Leaning out over to my left to reach the smoke detector.

Note- the ladder is right against the railing.


                                     Beautiful home, lovely people, tall ceilings!!!


I had some feelings about this.  Acrophobial feelings.  But I decided to press on.  I decided to climb the ladder and face my fears.  Low and behold, I got up there, focused on the job at hand and got it done.  Don't look down.

All Done!!!

I was very glad to step down and get back onto solid ground.

And so I guess that there is a life lesson.  Face your fears.  Step up to the plate.  Don't let your worries take over your life.  

In the old days, when I had an unpleasant meeting that needed to take place with an employee or a member, I learned to do it as soon as possible.  Don't put it off because you are afraid or nervous about it.  Step up, step in, and get it taken care of.

You will be glad that you did.  Once the scary thing is done, then you can get on with the joy of living.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: