Friday, March 31, 2023

I didn't mean to



I didn't mean to do that.  I didn't mean to hurt anyone.  In fact, I did not even know that my actions would be hurting someone.

But having said all of that, sometimes our actions hurt.

So I was cutting down a dead palm tree for a neighbor.  It had been dead for a while and it cut very easily and went right to the ground.  When it hit the ground, I heard a bird chirping.  I looked towards the noise and saw a woodpecker flying away from the log.

I thought, well, he must have been sitting on the ground near where the tree trunk fell.  Maybe he had stopped for a rest in the top and just rode the tree down.

But when I looked closer at the tree trunk, I realize that I had cut down his home.  When I was cutting the tree, he was inside his home.  When it hit the ground, he popped out and flew away.

I felt terrible.  But it was too late.

I apologized to the bird.  I apologized to creation.  And then I kept working.  Sometimes we will hurt others, inadvertently.  Apologize, forgive yourself, and move on.


note the line of holes above and below the opening.
I feel bad just looking at these pics!!!

Sometimes we will hurt others, inadvertently.  Apologize, forgive yourself, and move on.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: