Sunday, August 20, 2023

Blessed Assurance

Last Sunday at Fort Pierce First UMC, in church we sang, "Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine." 

That song always takes me back to a Sunday night in 1977 when we sang that song at the end of a worship service.  I was 20 years old.  During that song, I had a vision.  I saw Jesus on the cross in a wheat field.  He was bloody and bruised.  He spoke to me and he said to me, "I gave my life for you, I want you to give your life for me."  That experience launched 30 years of pastoral ministry.

Now it is 46 years later and we are singing that song again.  During the song, I go back in my mind to 1977, to what I saw and experienced.  This time though, I see something different.  This time, when I go out into that wheat field and see Jesus, he has a different message.  This time I see in him: a smile and a face full of joy.  I feel the forgiveness.  I sense the welcome.  I recognize the unconditional love that is shown by his sacrifice.

That song will always be special to me.  Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine.

I am glad today that I know a Jesus who is all about the welcome, the love and the joy.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure
If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com


No comments: