Friday, August 18, 2023

God and God alone

It’s 8 o’clock in the morning. I’m driving to a Handy Man job. I have to put in a sign for the client's homeowners association. 

I have a lot of songs on my phone and my phone is playing through the truck radio. A song comes on that I haven’t heard for a long time.   The song is, "God and God alone."  The singer is Steve Green. 

Hearing this song took me back to a time at the old church on Woods Chapel Road when John Knorr was our music director.  He is a long time friend and has a great voice.  He would sing that song... oh what a beautiful song! Oh what beautiful times! 

It is interesting that sometimes we only remember the good from the past, and sometimes we only remember the bad.  All stages of life have good and bad.  Listening to John sing was one of the good part.  Angry members and  trying to raise millions of dollars to build a new building were some of the more challenging.

But John singing God and God alone. Oh what a beautiful time.  And I think about now, today, how I’m worried about finances. I’m worried about my car. I’m worried about other things that I’m not gonna post in the blog.  And it’s easy to focus on what’s wrong and forget the good. 

There is a lot of good.  We live in the lovely home.  We have a little swimming pool in the backyard.  I can still do handyman work.  I’m on the way to a job. These are good times too!!! 

We should all get better at seeing the good in today because one day we will look back on today and say, "remember when you were driving to that Handyman job out on the island?"  Remember those good times?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure
If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: