Sunday, August 27, 2023

The Oyster

I was once an oyster.  I lived in the ocean.  My mouth hung open all the time.  I would swallow up all sorts of little critters that swam my way.  Once, I got a piece of sand stuck in my gullet and I made a pearl.  I loved being an oyster.

Then one day, I was scooped up, pulled out of my home and thrown into a box with a lot of my other oyster friends.  I got cracked open, and someone ate my guts.

Now I am simply a shell of my former self.

And so, my shell was thrown out in the trash.  Or was it?  Actually it was rescued by a lady who uses oyster shells [bones] to make Christmas ornaments.  I was dried out and given to a lovely handyman [Jeff Brinkman] who drilled a hole at the top of my shell for a ribbon.  This year, I will be an ornament on someone's Christmas tree.

I liked being in the ocean and eating things that swam by, but I also like being a part of the Christmas story.  I guess the moral of this story is this:  to every end there is a beginning.  Something may end, but new things can come to be.  Not all change is bad.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure
If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: