Tuesday, August 22, 2023

prayer as I see it

There are many kinds of prayer.  There are examples of all kinds of prayers in the Bible.

I do pray for people because the bible says that we can.  But I have noticed that when I pray for others, or when I pray for outcomes, when I pray for something to go a certain way, I notice the self interest.  When self interest gets mixed up in our prayers, we can become filled with anxiety.  Some people even get mad at God when they don't get their way.

Somehow, I am not sure that great prayers are filled with self-interest.  I would rather think that great prayers are filled with self-less-ness.

I find that for me, prayer helps align my heart and mind to the values of Jesus... to kindness, to forgiveness and such.  To me, good prayer is about helping me get over my self interest more so than fulfilling my self interest.

When we release our desires to God, we find peace.  When we pray and pray for a certain outcome, we can get very filled with worry and anxiety.

What are you praying for?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure
If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com


No comments: