Wednesday, August 30, 2023

feeling alone

I was travelling last week and I was in an airport that I had never been to before. I didn’t know anyone.  I didn't know my way around.  I was completely alone.   Only strangers.  Possibly the worst feeling in the world, is to feel alone. 

I texted my family and friends and they didn’t answer.  I understand. They’re busy, they’re at home, they have their families and their lives.  And they are now 2-3 time zones away from me.

I think the feeling of being alone in this life comes way too easy.

And so I sulked.  I sulked for a bit.  But then, a person has to get ahold of themselves.  A person has to find the better part of who they are.  Chin up, old man, tomorrow will be better.

In those moments, when I feel alone, I like to double down on reaching out to people.  The guy at the rental counter, the person who checks you in at the hotel.  I left a nice note and $3 for the housekeeping person.

Suddenly, I am no longer worried about being alone, because I took the initiative in life.  You can be in pain, and not suffer.  You can be alone, and not lonely.  

Work on it.  It can get better.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: