Sunday, June 10, 2007

arrows

It seems that one of the first things that people learn how to do after they learn to tie their shoes, is to shoot arrows. Not the kind that come from a bow and wound the body, but the kind that are shot in anger and wound the soul.

So many unnecessary things are said and done that hurt other people. Many arrows are launched into the air, often not because of what the target of the arrow is doing, but because of the pain in the life of the shooter.

I have learned some things over the years about arrows.

Arrows are coming, expect them and be ready. You are going to catch some, and they are going to hurt. After you have caught a few, you get used to the pain.

Unfortunately, they often strike in the back, as the shooters usually don't want to make a frontal approach.

The pain and hurt of an arrow will not last forever unless you embrace it. If you pray for the person who shot the arrow and try to see them as God sees them, pretty soon the pain subsides. I often pray, "Lord, please help me to release my anger over this pain. Please bless the person who has delivered this pain. Help me to see them as you see them." Usually, in a day or two, the pain of the arrow subsides.

We can learn things from arrows. Sometimes the arrow is right on the mark. Sometimes I am struck because I need to hear the painful message. It takes a brave soul to admit it when they are wrong.

Sometimes I learn from arrows a good deal about the shooter. Who they are, and how much pain they are in.

When arrows are finding their mark on me I also consider the suffering of Jesus Christ. If there was ever anyone who was unjustly accused, it is Him. Ahh, I get it. The unjust pain that I am receiving can help me to understand how he felt. This suffering can bring me closer to Jesus Christ.

I actually like that thought.

Maybe if I never felt any pain, maybe if my life was only blue skies and ice cream, I would never understand how Jesus felt. If that is the case, then bring on some pain.

The biggest thing that I seem to learn from arrows and those who shoot them is not to do it myself. Knowing the pain that they can cause, I make a conscious choice to communicate in constructive ways with people. If I am really upset about something, I stay away for a while until I can keep my mouth under control. Having been hurt, I know what it feels like, and I don't want others to be hurt by me.

One of the conscious choices in my life is that I will never intentionally hurt anyone.

Life is too short for us to spend our time wounding each other. Life is good and God is great and most of the things that we are upset about today, won't even be on our list tomorrow.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good .

No comments: