Thursday, June 7, 2007

a parent's worst nightmare

Kelsey Smith's parents spent 18 years teaching her about life. They loved her, provided for her, and took her to church. They successfully raised a solid, stable, loving young Christian woman. A few weeks ago, they cheered her graduation. Today, they mourn her death.

You have seen it on the news. A man in a grainy video follows Kelsey out of the Target store and pushes her into her car. Now they have found her body just down the street from us at Longview Lake.

We have spent the last few days talking to our 18 and 19 year old daughters about how to be safe and how to take care of themselves. We have tried to explain to them that even tho we have taught them to be good girls, there are some really bad people out there. We have tried to help them understand how a bigger person can hurt, harm and kill a smaller person.

I am angry that we have to have these discussions with our daughters. I am angry that Kelsey Smith's parents have to endure the unthinkable. I pray that their faith in God sustains them in this very painful time.

What of Edwin Hall? How does someone become such a person that at the age of 26 he is abducting and murdering a young girl? What should happen to him? Dont ask me today, I am not sure that my answer would be very Christian.

It really bothers me that in a world that is so beautiful and so wonderful, there are people that are so evil. You know we all have the potential to do wrong. We all have a dark side, but good people fight off their bad thoughts and choose to focus on the good. What happened to Edwin Hall? I would like to have a talk with him right now. I dont think he would like it.

This morning, my heart is sad and my mind is angry and I am crying tears for Kelsey Smith's family. I know that every one of you are feeling the same things. Those of you that have daughters, Chris, Carol, Andrew and others, you know the concern and emotions that I am feeling.

So how can it be a beautiful day in God's world? What can we find that is good when our hearts are filled tears?

I look to the words of the Psalmist. The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. Yea tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies. What? That is it! While I am surrounded by enemies, by evil, by those who seek to harm me, God has set up a table, a banquet. His presence with us is so strong, that we can still see and experience the good even when we are encompassed by evil.

Anyone can see the good when the sun is shining and the sky is blue. God is looking for people, [and I want to be one of them] who can see the good even on stormy days. Some people look up and see the clouds. God is looking for someone who will look past the clouds and see the sky.

This is not easy to say today. I do not feel it today. But I still desperately believe it.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

nknight said...

I agree, this is so sad and my heart aches for this family. I also have a daughter, and couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose her - or my son or grandkids. Life is so fragile. I pray for strong faith and strength for this family - they will need it. May God bless them.

terry said...

There is such a cloud over Kansas City today.. I cannot shake the feeling of sadness.. the tears keep coming.. I looked at your blog for comfort and found it. Thank you.. your words have helped put this in perspective. It's hard to even look at my daughter right now and not cry.. I am so blessed... God Bless that family.

cheryl said...

Your words are always comforting and thought provoking. I, too, have felt much heartache for Kelsey and her family. What did Kelsey suffer through and was God there for her? I believe He was. She is now safe in His arms. I pray for comfort and strength for her family and friends as they struggle with all that they must go through.