Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Fred [thats not his real name]

I was out of town last Sunday, but I still went to church. I woke up early and went to the 8:00 service at one of the local United Methodist Churches. Not being sure of travel times, I arrived at the church at 7:45. I noticed the sign on the door, indicating that the first service was at 8:30, not 8:00. Now I have a 45 minute wait.

Inside the church they have a nice foyer and were serving coffee and donuts. I loaded up and looked for a place to sit. At one table, a group of four retirees were laughing and having a good time of it. At another table, an older gentleman sat by himself.

There were 10 other tables that were unoccupied. I considered my options of where to park and what that would mean to the next 45 minutes. I sat with the old man.

Now who am I to call anyone old? I am going to be 50 this year.

He spoke first, "its a beautiful day." I thought, well, he is singing my song. I said, "yes it is!" Then he said, "but its going to be a long day." I asked why. He told me that his wife had died 9 years ago, and now he is all alone. His kids live out of state and he really doesnt have anyone to hang around with. Over the next 45 minutes I learned a lot about him His name is Fred. He is 88 years old. He served in the army during WW2. His church did not honor veterans on memorial day. He did not care for the person giving the sermon today. Last time that person spoke, Fred chose to just sit out in the foyer. The conversation from his side was pretty negative. Pretty unhappy man.

I asked him if he went fishing or went for walks. I asked him if he volunteered at church. I couldnt make a dent in his world. I wanted to help, but I didnt know what to say. Afterall, I was only going to be there for 45 minutes, then I would never see him again.

Looking back on this, I am struck again by the amount of sadness that exists in the world. The number of people who have lost the joy of life. I grieve for them and I wish that they could look past the pain and see the good.

Lets try to be the kind of friends to each other, that can lift one another up when someone is down. Lets help everyone that we can to hear the birds sing.

Its a beautiful day in God's world. Be sure to see the good.

No comments: