Saturday, June 2, 2007

the benefits of a long drive

I recently took a long drive. Three hours in the car. When I was younger, I hated long drives. I just wanted to get to where I was going. I didnt have time for the journey.

Now I see the world differently. On that long drive that I took, I saw things that I otherwise would not have seen. I saw buildings and trees and farms and homes. I met people that I would have otherwise missed. The change of pace disrupted my routine and caused my brain to get out of the rut.

When I was a kid, sometimes my parents would load us up in the car and we would go for a "sunday drive." We weren't going anywhere, we were just getting away from the house and seeing the countryside. I had a poster as a teenager that said, "life is a journey, not a destination." How important it is to enjoy the moment.

Here is another benefit to a long drive: if you stay off the phone, eventually the quiet will catch up to you. The wheels stop turning and the hurry scurry slows down. I feel at peace.

When we were young parents, sometimes the kids would not go to sleep. Yet, if you would put them in a car seat and drive them around the block, they were out.

Next time you feel a bit stressed, break the routine, go for a long drive. It will do you good.

On second thought, with gas at $3.15 per gallon, maybe a long walk will serve the purpose as well.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: