Tuesday, October 6, 2009

airport

Well, Sunday night I did not sleep very well. I was too excited about where I was going this week. I woke up at 3:30 and sat around the house until 630 when I left for KCI. The airport is packed with people when I get there. Long long long lines everywhere. No one can figure it out. People that travel every week are asking what is going on.

Then someone realized that we were awash in a sea of blue. 60,000 NY Giant fans were flying home. Our airport was clogged with smiling Giant fans. The waiting area in the airport is really cold, there is a giant fan in every seat. [thats a joke if you missed it.] By the way, I did not see a single Chief's shirt at the airport. We all joked about who would be clogging the airport next week after their team cleans the Chief's clock. If you have to fly to Dallas for business next Monday, get to the airport early because there are going to be lots of Cowboy fans with smiling faces in the long lines at security.

So, where am I going this week. Every year I take a week to go to a pastor's camp in the California mountains to read. I have 2 suitcases. One is full of clothes and stuff like that. The other is full of books. I won't read all 30, but I hope to "digest" them. Get the main ideas. Glean the stories. Discover and extract the author's purposes. The resulting information is used to keep myself on track, inspire the staff and for sermon illustrations. These books largely come as suggested reading from the District Superintendent, the Bishop, Conference Officials and church members.

I will be back to preach on Sunday so do not skip church. Sell your Cowboys/Chiefs tickets and come to church. Jesus will not let you down.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Dave Templeman said...

Q. What do Billy Graham and the Chiefs have in common?

A. They can both get 70,000 people on their feet calling out to Jesus.