Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lillian

The flight attendant's voice came over the loudspeaker: "this is going to be a completely full flight. Every seat will be taken. If you are avoiding eye contact with the people coming down the isle, go ahead, look up and welcome someone, because that seat next to you is going to be filled."

I prayed, Lord don't let it be someone who likes to talk on airplanes. I looked up. Here they came. Yes, they. Mother and child.

First thoughts. Oh my gosh, that baby is going to cry and drive me crazy! Hmmm. Grrrr.....

then, an awakening. I remembered the pastor's remarks from Sunday's sermon. See others as a soul. My countenance changed. I welcomed my new friends. Mom and 10 month old baby.

Mom is moving from Oak Grove to Denver as husband is in the Air Force. Baby Lillian is along for the ride and really doesn't have a choice in the matter.

I read. Mom feeds baby. Mom sings to baby. This is a good mom. Baby is happy. Baby smiles at Jeff. It is over. Jeff melts. Jeff smiles at baby. A discussion begins between baby and Jeff. I think it is in Chinese. No problem. I can do it. Jeff and baby speak to each other in Chinese.

Baby pulls on Jeff's bright blue San Jose State jacket. Pretty soon, baby Lillian is sitting on Jeff's lap. Jeff is singing to baby. Baby Lillian enjoys looking out the window.

The flight went by fast. I enjoyed Baby Lillian. Exiting the plane, I noticed that I had a couple of formerly slobbery Cheerios, now dried Cheerios, stuck on my pant leg. No problem. It was worth it.

Remember, every time you see someone as an inconvenience, they are still an eternal soul that God has made. A little love delivered to them, and you might just get to hold the baby.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

That was a great story. I will keep it in mind as I board the plane tomorrow.

It also reminds me of the time that I flew back to KC on a plane from Wichita Falls, TX--just me and my three small daughters, ages 7, 5 & 2. I'm sure passengers that were already seated were holding their breath as they waited for us to find our seats.

One thing to keep in mind, the inconvenience that you had to endure, only lasted a few hours. That mom had been with that child from sunrise to sunset. She was doing her best and being blessed all the while. In fact, sitting next to you was probably a real blessing for her that day.

Have a relaxing, peaceful trip.

Becky W said...

I enjoyed that, Jeff! :)