Saturday, October 3, 2009

hard to believe

Friday is my day off. Yesterday I was mowing and the mower started acting up. This is a five year old mower that has never been to the shop for anything. Maybe it is time. I know a little bit about motors, and it appears to me that the engine is not getting enough gas.

I get the mower around to the front and start to make arrangements to take it to the shop. Jerry C tells me that he knows of a guy in Raytown that has a reputation for being honest and doing a good job. I get the number and call the fellow. The name of his company is discount mower repair.

The gentlemen, whose name I missed, answers the phone. I expect him to tell me where to bring the mower. I expect him to have it for a week. I expect it to cost $100 to repair. I expect that he will find other things that "need to be done" to the mower.

What he does on the phone is nothing like that. He asks me what kind of mower it is and what kind of engine it is. He asks me to describe what the mower has been doing. He suggests to me over the phone that it sounds like the mower is being starved of gas. He walks me through a check of the vent on the gas cap. The vent is plugged. I clean it out, and the mower is healed. I am astounded. I thank him. He says, "no problem." I tell him that I will never take my mowers for repair to anyone else. He says, "thanks, have a great day."

Well, here is a guy who could have made money off of me, but helping me was more important to him. I love that. You just don't find people who act like this very often. Most people put money in front of everything else. This guy put me in front of his own pocket book.

If you need mower repair, send me a note and I will get is number to you. There are still a few good, honest, caring folks left in the world.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

THAT was a great story--really made me smile. I wonder if Jerry knows a plumber like that... ; )

KCSherri said...

I laughed when I read this story...earlier this summer, our lawnmower had a temper tantrum and refused to work any more. It probably had logged 100,000 miles by then, so I couldn't really blame it for calling in sick. We called a repairman - and boy, what a pleasant surprise - the guy made a HOUSE CALL! He came to us! And - get this - he came over the same day we called him!!! I was shocked - but shocked in a happy way! It's a good world!

Anonymous said...

Bet the guy who made the housecall was my friend Bob Wallis. Betty P.