Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Father “help me to see”

In the post yesterday Young Shepherd wrote about the need to see and experience the people in our lives. I went to a funeral last week. I attended the funeral not so much because of my relationship with the deceased but more so to provide support to someone who knew him better than I. This man was a good man…a very good man. The people who attended his funeral spoke very highly of him. Over and over I heard the same message. What a kind person, a generous person, a loving person he was. It was said that each and every day he would greet everyone in his office with a hello….a good morning….a smile. And each and every day he ended the day in a similar manner. He never took people for granted. He was giving of his time especially with the less fortunate. He was a good husband and father. He brown bagged his lunch twice a week and met his priest…his mentor…his friend for lunch to discuss life and pray for who and what he felt he needed to pray for. He lived his life by example. He invested his time in people.

So, I blew it. I had numerous chances but, I never took the time to know him well. I am sure my life would have been richer if I did. I was “consumed with self” and so I missed an opportunity. I hope I never forget this….ever.

I need to slow down, take the time, let the goals take a back seat to the journey…..don’t miss the opportunities…..get to know people…..be a part of their lives and let them be a part of mine.

Peace,
Lion’s Den Man

No comments: