Sunday, October 18, 2009

why we do what we do

Ask the average person, "why do we do what we do?" You will get many answers. Church folks have 100, no 99 answers to the question in relation to the church - why do we do what we do?

Some say,
"it is good for my family"
"I meet the best people there"
"my children need to learn the Bible"
"worshipping God makes me feel good"
"church charges me up for another week"
"I love to learn in Sunday School"

All of these answers are fine, but they are all means to an end. Meeting great people, singing worship songs, even learning the Bible is fine, but they all should point us to something else. What is the something else? It is why we are here, it is why we do what we do.


It is the making disciples thing. Changing lives. Reaching out. Outside of ourselves. Giving ourselves away. Taking up our cross. Following. Living beyond ourselves. Finding a life that matters. Spending who we are and what we are for the sake of Christ.

It is all about God getting inside of us so that he can turn us out toward his children.


Enjoy church, where ever you go. But don't forget, all of it is designed to turn us away from self and out towards others.


It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for reminding us (me) of why I do go to and love WCC. When you asked us this question last week, my first thought was because of the love I feel when I'm there and how comfortable it feels to me. Things I need. I never thought to tell about how much the whole experience has changed my life and how I relate to others. My connection to Jesus Christ through WCC has changed me as a person and given me the opportunity and the outlet to help other people. When I get up every day and say "I'm going to live this day like God would want me to", I know that through my actions, I may be making a difference in someone else's life. Your sermon, the music, the people are all a part of it, but it's the "connection" that is most important.

H4EO said...

That's what I'm talking about.