Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mysterious God.

I am sorry for the times I have made God smaller by analyzing and characterizing. I try to make God a succinct statement. An explanation. But God cannot fit in my mind, or He is not the God who created me. Instead, I am playing God, creating Him.

God is a mystery. I cannot wrap my brain around God. But I can worship God. I can enjoy God. I can search creation for clues about God.

When I think and dream about the mystery of God, a 5-point plan of salvation does not come to mind. Perhaps the pathway to God is no more clearly summarized than God Himself. Maybe the best I can do is stutter on and on about this magnificent God. I am brought to my knees in awe.

Maybe my desire to describe God easily and concisely is a control thing. I can control God when He fits easily into my brain. I can control other people by proving that I know God! and telling them how to get to Him. But I have been wrong about God before. And I am wrong about God now. Saying that I have all the answer about God is the same as saying I am God. Only God has all the answers.

The rest of us can simply marvel. If we are burning with passion for a God who exceeds our wildest imaginations, will that passion be contagious? Maybe we will reach more people who simply see us burning for God and want to burn, too, than in all our efforts to sell God.

I am speaking for myself. I want it to be known that all my words do not come close to touching all that God is. Perhaps a moment of silence with God says more than a thousand volumes of text about God. Maybe today I will see that God is holding me; I am not holding Him. Maybe I will get Him out of my head, and get my head into God. Maybe I will explore God. Hopefully I will get lost in God today.

With love,

a young shepherd.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

"Be still and know that I am"--it's that simple. And I like to remind myself that I am in His world--he's not in mine. He is the Creator of all things--we are here because He wanted us here. And just as I expected my children to behave in a proper manner and respect me while living under my roof, I feel like I must honor and respect my Heavenly Father and do His will. I try to keep it simple--honor Him, love Him, praise Him, respect Him, and speak of Him to others, but I do not try to explain Him. How could I do that?

Anonymous said...

I have always told my kids and husband that the day I have all the answers and quit making mistakes, I will be dead. In heaven where all is perfect. Until then, I trust that He is always loving, forgiving, ALWAYS HERE!