Saturday, June 1, 2013

Father's Day

Father's day is coming up in a few weeks, but lately I have been thinking about the kind of father that I have been.  Being a father is a funny thing.  I used to work really hard taking care of kids, teaching them and raising them.  Then one day they grew up and moved out.  Now they have taken responsibility for their own lives.  I am in effect, out of a job.

It is a funny feeling.  Not needed anymore.  Not thought of.  Poor me!  Time for a pity party.  The empty nest thing takes some time to transition.  You look back and wonder what you might have done differently, you think of mistakes that you made.  I wish I could have those moments back and have a redo.

Mostly I just look at my kids and feel proud.  They are all going to be fine.  They have good hearts.  Maybe one day soon, I will have grand kids to invest in.  Now there is a happy thought!

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a normal wash of thoughts and emotions you are going through, for an empty nester. At least your nest still has Cathy in it. Now there's a nice thought.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to call you Poo!

Anonymous said...

Being a grandfather and great-grandfather has it's own rewards, you will love being grandpa!

Walt