Wednesday, June 26, 2013

weathered pages

I love books.  I love old books.  I have a collection of old books.  It used to be larger, but keeping books around can become very troublesome.  Very heavy.  Bordering on hoarding.  So I have given many of my old books away.

I have a set of Charles Dickens from the 1860's.  I have an old Dante's Inferno.  I have the Works of Wesley.  [not the originals]

One of the things that I found odd about old books was how they weathered, greyed, became brittle and smelly.  Sometimes old books just fall apart in your hands.

The other day, I opened up one of the oldest books that I purchased new in 1984.  It was a copy of The Road less Travelled.  To my surprise, the pages are getting dry, brittle and smelly.  My book is now an old book.  It is after all, almost 30 years old.

I am no longer a spring chicken, but that is ok.  The good news about that, is that I was thinking and reading 30 years ago.  I hope you have something good to read.  Reading opens our mind and helps us solve our problems.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Readers are leaders, and you lead us so well in being well rounded and learning from those who've gone before us.

For a smile...although Jeff is old and weathered, he still gets around great and doesn't fall apart at every turn, with the exception of that one trick knee that's brittle.

Good post.