Monday, June 17, 2013

random thoughts on Fathers

Jim T used to say that on Mother's day I would praise mothers, and on Father's day I would chastise fathers.  I am sure that he was right.  Somehow in my brain that makes sense. 

Since I have never been a mother, there is this mystique about them.  A mythology maybe, it goes like this.......Mothers always know what to do, or were supposed to know.  They just do it.  They instinctively sacrifice themselves for their children. They can't do anything but do the right thing.  Maybe this is why I praised mothers on Mother's day.

Fathers I know about.  I know about how hard it is to get up every day and try to do the right thing.  I know about how hard it is to sacrifice, and I know what it takes to get the job done.  Not an easy thing.  Anyone can father a child, being a Father is really hard work.  I think this is why I have goaded fathers along, hoping to encourage or motivate them, but I guess fathers should be praised too.

Peter Pan had a happy thought.  In the movie Hook, he rediscovered his ability to fly when he remembered his happy thought, which was, "I'm a Dad!"  It is indeed a happy thought.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And to the lighter side of life. Being the wise old sage that you are, you know it's best to be nice to women on Mother's Day, and the other 51 sermons per year.

Men "get over it" but women "get back." You don't need a bunch of emotional women going after you for not being kind to them on Mother's Day (ha.)

God loves laughter.

A female reader.