Monday, June 24, 2013

Paul

Friday is my day off.  Sometimes I get free time and sometimes I have to work.  That's just the nature of the beast.  Last Friday I had a list of errands to run:  Harbor Freight Tools, Savers, A-1 Rentals, the gas station, etc.

When I came out of Savers I got into my car.  I was immediately approached by a homeless looking man.  He was saying, "I don't want money, I don't want money."  He looked kind of desperate, so I decided to listen to him.

All he wanted was a ride up the street, from 44th and Noland to 36th and Noland.  He had to get to the barber shop.  I said ok.  He got in my car.  Sorry about this, but he smelled.  Smelled of alcohol.  10 in the morning and he had tied a pretty good one on.  I introduced myself to him.  He told me that his name was Paul.  Paul.  That was my Dad's name. 

On the way to 36th and Noland, I thought about his life, I thought about his future.  I was glad to help him.  I hope he has better things come his way.  We said goodbye and he went into the barbershop.  I drove on to the next place on my list.

There are a lot of people in this world that need help.  A small effort on my part saved Paul a ten block walk on a very busy street on a hot day.

There is always someone to help if we are willing.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Love your story. A year ago today 6-24-12 I attended WCC for the first time. A couple of weeks before, I had seen where you had a Mission trip to Jamacca. Then a few days before, I heard a Tim McGraw song... Still - go where the stain glass windows glow as I drove by on 291...then my gas light went on as I got off I-70 at WoodsChappel and was approached by 31 yr old Justin at QTrip asking me to buy his gas. I said not tonight...but then I had to go inside (for some reason!) to get my receipt and as I walked by his truck I knew God was teling me to "go back"... and I knew it was God when I turned around and saw his license plate...and I shared that with him...He showed me some paperwork and how he was on his way to Tulsa for an anger management appointment at the VA and asked for prayers. I told I would pay for his gas...and asked him to listen to KLOVE...I also got him a candy bar and he repeated over and over as I walked back to my car - 97.3...97.3. That night...I knew where I was going to church on Sunday. HE LIVES!