Friday, August 11, 2017

Another thought about Holy Communion

So on the first Sunday of every month, many churches celebrate Holy Communion. We have made it a convenient little celebration where we like to think that we feel close to God.   At the last supper Jesus said, “do this in remembrance of me.”  What did he really mean?  Did he mean, eat a piece of bread and remember me?  Or is there more going on?

At the last supper, Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of me"   ….. do this.  Do what?  Eat bread?  Is that all that the Lord's supper is about?  Eat bread and remember me?  The bread is not just bread.  It is broken bread.  Communion remembers Jesus being broken.

The bread is the symbol of his body broken.  Let’s look at this another way… every time that you are broken,  remember me.  Every time that you are broken as Jesus was broken,  every time that you live as he lived, it is sacramental.  Do you want to feel close to Jesus?  Then go be broken as he was broken.  Go give yourself away.

The next time you share in the bread and the cup, remember that this is not merely a feel good time.  Just as  he was broken for the world, and we too are called to follow him as a sacrifice for others.


It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

meaningful thanks - sometimes I feel numb or confused by that ritual but I hope I remember This then