Sunday, August 20, 2017

guilt and shame

A South Carolina woman shot her children and herself. Seems that her husband had filed for divorce and had a new girlfriend. Jessica Edens shot and killed the girlfriend, then her children, then herself. She left a note for her husband which said-

“I hope you rot one day for what you have done to me and my kids,” the woman wrote to her estranged husband, Ben Edens, with whom she was fighting for custody. “You can no longer hurt us. We are at peace. I hope you live with pain and shame and guilt for the rest of your life.”


Now this is a mess of a situation for sure, and I wish there was no such thing as divorce. I wish that every marriage worked out. But I want to say this- having been raised for 25 years on guilt and shame, I would wish it on no one. I don't care what people do to me, I don't want them to feel guilt or shame. People do what they do for a myriad of reasons. Life is complicated.

We can seek to understand others or we can make it all about me.  Jesus never delivered guilt or shame to anyone.  Neither should Christians.

Thought for the day:  Make a concerted effort to offer grace to everyone, especially those who have wronged you.

In so doing, make it a beautiful day in God's world.

No comments: