Thursday, August 17, 2017

On being the bigger person

My friend Chris sent this in....

I am right. Why should I make amends when the other person is wrong? They owe me an apology! I’m going to sit here as long as it takes, in a closed body position with my arms crossed firmly, not budging, after all, I am right!.

We all hurt other people. With our words, looks, attitude, tone of voice, actions, lack of actions and many other things. Who are we not to extend grace to someone else who has wronged us? Although we may not recall, or even know it, others have extended us grace in the past.

What good does it good to dig deep in the sand & refuse to take action. Sometimes being the bigger person isn’t just about being the bigger person, it’s about making things right, regardless of who is wrong. If we stay focused on the wrong we will not grow. We will stay in rightness, which can be a form of prison. Look at the bigger picture. Is this relationship, friendship or business associate worth losing over a position that you think is right?

Remember in Matthew when Peter went to Jesus & asked “How many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to 7 times?” Jesus replied “I tell you, not 7 times, but 77 times."

Being a bigger person is a beautiful thing. Reach out to that person. Call, Send a note, or email, asking to make things right. Acknowledge your accountability. Ask for forgiveness. Who are we not to give it?

Be kind to yourself today. Be kind to to someone else today.

No comments: