Tuesday, August 1, 2017

one less rib


This is an embarrassing story from my youth.  It is a story about how some religious teachers, Pastors, Sunday School teachers and the like can really mess you up.  Some religious people, in the name of religion, believe some cra cra crazy things.

So I was 18 years old and a freshman in college at San Jose State.  One of my courses was humanities.  The class was small, about 15 students and we sat around a big square table.  So we were all face to face and in close proximity to one another.  One day the topic of the Bible came up.  Every student in the class spoke about how the Bible was not true and how there was no proof of the Bible’s claims. 

I spoke up.  [This is so embarrassing.]

I spoke up in defense of the Bible.  I said, “what about the issue of ribs?”  No one had any idea what I was talking about so explained that God made woman with one of Adam’s ribs and that is why to this day, men have one less rib than women.

The class, obviously, broke out in hysterics.  I was shamed.   I felt like a fool.

The moral of this story is this:  be careful what you eat.  Be careful what teaching you take in.  Even if it is supported by a scripture, there may be other scriptures that contradict it.  Also, I believe that 90% of what we believe is foolishness.  It doesn’t matter.  All that matters is that we love the Lord with all of our heart and love our neighbor as ourself.  Your opinion on the Bible, Revelations, politics and everything else is irrelevant.  Just love.  That’s all that matters.


It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: