Monday, July 2, 2018

but what does Jeff think?

Several have asked, but what does Jeff think about homosexuality?

Let me begin with this.  We live in a particular culture.  The religious culture in America is simply American.  Many American Christians believe that commonly held views in America are held around the world.  Not so.  Many American Christians have confused the American version of Christianity with actual Christianity.  Around the world there are many different beliefs among Christians.  Some American Christians believe that drinking is wrong.  The culture in Europe is different.  If you go to Ireland and tell them not to drink beer, they will laugh you out of the church.  Go to France and tell the Catholics not to drink wine and they will laugh your Christianity away.  So it is true with homosexuality.  While it is a big issue here [in some circles], it is not an issue everywhere.  There are some countries where it is much more normalized and there are still countries where you can go to jail for it.

So what do I think.

I am straight.  I have always been.  If the most handsome guy in the world is George Clooney, I have never looked at him or another man and thought, "hubba hubba."  Honestly there is not a fiber of my being that understands homosexuality.  But there is not a fiber of my being that relates to murder or 50 other things either.

I have met many gay people over the years.  They are people.  They deserve to be loved and respected.  One of the saddest things in the world to me is when someone comes out as gay and their family rejects them.

Just because I am not something does not mean that I or we have to reject someone or hurt them.  Jesus surely encounter gay and bisexual people.  In his day it was common for men who owned slaves to use them.  Jesus loved everyone.  Period.  We should as well.

Yes there are a number of scriptures that talk about homosexuality and I will address those one of these days.  But remember, the dominat theme of scripture is love.  Love.  LOVE.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

4 Night cruise from Port Canaveral to Key West and Havana, Cuba.
August 13-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/cc18081318h17768#eotours

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/hl19030419g17768#.Wt84h7lRHcs















No comments: