Friday, July 6, 2018

grateful or thankful?

I was talking to someone the other day and they were telling me that they were explaining to their son the difference between gratitude and being thankful.

I thought, oh, I am about to learn something.  Because prior to this if you asked me, they were the same.

He told me that you can be thankful and sit on your butt in a chair and do nothing.  You can be thankful and appreciate a thing. 

He said that gratitude has a different connotation.  One derivative of the word is "gratuity."  Like you leave a tip.  I am grateful for what you did so I leave a gratuity.  Therefore he says that to be grateful is to take action. 

So we are thankful when we appreciate a thing, we are grateful when we act to repay or pass on the kindness.

Something to think about.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

4 Night cruise from Port Canaveral to Key West and Havana, Cuba.
August 13-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/cc18081318h17768#eotours

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/hl19030419g17768#.Wt84h7lRHcs

No comments: