Friday, July 27, 2018

selfishness

We have many definitions of selfishness:  a taking to ourselves, the practice of putting my own interest first, keeping more than I need, on and on we can go...

I recently reread Anthony deMello's definition of selfishness:
"Selfishness is demanding that others live the way that you insist."
                              Walking on Water pg 128

There are countless ways that we insist that others live the way that we think that they should.
1.  My adult children should go to church.
2.  That couple should spend more time together.
3.  That person should save money.
4.  That person should stop taking drugs.
5.  My kid should call me more often.
6.  That person should....

We can make laws and hold people accountable.  We can fire employees that don't meet our standards.  We can de-friend people who we don't want to be friends with.  But beyond that, much of what other people do in this life is none of our business.

Selfishness is demanding that others live the way that I insist.  Something to think about.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: