Sunday, February 10, 2019

scars

When I was 3 I got stitches on my forehead = scar.  When I was 9 I split my knee open = scar.  When I was 22 a metal band raked my hand = scar.  Age 44, rotator cuff = scar.  Age 51 gall bladder = scar.

By the time we are in our 50's and 60's we have collected a large number of scars.  I am not referring to bodily injury, but to heart hurts.  Those wounds that break us on the inside. 

Hatefulness delivered to us.  Judgment pronounced upon us.  Rejection by a friend.  Loss of innocence.  Distancing of a loved one.  Simply being ignored by those you depend upon.  Being fired.  Being insulted.  Not being loved.  Wound, wound wound after wound.

By the time we are in our 50's and 60's we have a collection of wounds and the resulting scars.  Sometimes I a see that a wound has been put to rest.  All that is left is the scar.  Thank God for those. 

But sometimes a wound, 10, 20, 30 + years old, one that I thought was healed up, one of those, begins to ooze.  The pain is back, the tears are back, just as if it happened yesterday.

What to do?
1.  Regain cognitive control. Tell yourself that you will not be controlled by your emotions. 
2.  Remind yourself that how you feel about this will pass.
3.  If need be, revisit it.  Re-forgive the person.  See Jesus standing with them. 
4.  See that you yourself are forgiven.  You yourself are being given grace.
5.  Feel the joy of being a person that lives in grace.

We will carry the scars.  Sometimes they will ooze.  But the healing balm of God's love can always help us to get to the other side.  As the artist Pink says, we're not broken, just bent, and we can learn to love again.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -
I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/hl19030419g17768#.Wt84h7lRHcs

Paris-Normandy River Cruise
October 23-31, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/rc19102319x17768#.W3avNFJK3cs


No comments: