Monday, November 7, 2022

a warm welcome

I recently went back to a store that I had worked on with the construction company.  I had been on site for 5 days in June.

I didn't know if they would remember me.  Wow.  I was wrong.  When I walked in the door, the first employee to see me shouted, "JEFF!!!"

It made me feel like a million dollars.  We had a nice visit.  I asked them how things were going, we had a nice talk, and I went on my way.

- - - 

Let's talk about our response when we see a person:

Your long lost good friend walks in the door.  You respond with joy.  Yea Roger!!!  Your face gets a smile.  Your heart gets a smile.

There is a knock at the door.  You get up and go to the door.  It is a neighbor with mail.  You thank them and accept the mail.

There is a knock at the door.  You get up and go to the door.  It is a stranger.  You are suspicious.  What do they want?  You ask, how can I help you.

You run into someone who hurt you in the past.  You keep your head down and keep moving.  You say nothing.  The scab is picked... anger and bitterness seeps up to the top.

You walk into an establishment to place and order or pay for something.  The person on the other side of the counter is unknown to you.  You are ambivalent to them.  You conduct your business and go on.

- - -

What if we did something completely different?  What if we treated every one, in every encounter, as if they were worth a million dollars???  Yea Jeff!  Yea Joanne!  Yea Ginger!  Yea Kathy!  Yea you!!!

We have a chance in every encounter to make people feel valuable.  We know how it makes us feel when people are glad to see us, so  let's reciprocate.  Lets show them some kindness.  Let's treat them as if they are our new old best friend.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.




No comments: