Friday, November 25, 2022

My name is Lowell

Today is Black Friday.  It is a big shopping day.  It is a big day for the American dream.    I thought it was timely that this story came in and to post it today...

My friend Kim volunteers for a ministry in KC called Uplift.  They deliver meals and necessities to the homeless.  I have asked her to share some stories...  get out the Kleenex box.

This is what Kim shared...
We loaded the trucks with needed supplies. We loaded our hearts with compassion, patience,
understanding, smiles, and love as the Uplift truck pulled away from the warehouse.  If you ask who we are helping, I would tell you: the hungry, sad, lonely people who carry all their belongings in a backpack and are OH - SO - GRATEFUL for the small things … that is who we meet.  

And so the other night, a man came up to the van.  He said, “Hi. My name is Lowell. I was released from the hospital today after being there for 3 weeks. I have cancer.  It is cold out here. I’m sure hungry. I’ll take anything you can give me. I have 3 prescriptions that I need filled … if you could help me, please. I have a daughter in Olathe and 6 grandchildren too.”  Clearly, when you enter the hospital a homeless person, you leave the hospital a homeless person … upon dismissal, the taxi takes you right back to the streets.  

We gave Lowell a hot meal and other supplies. He wore swim trunks on top of a pair of thin pants and
some slippers. We helped him with a belt and some suspenders. That’s when I noticed the colostomy
bag. How does a homeless person tend to a colostomy bag?  Lowell is on my heart. His safety. How will he survive on the streets with cancer during the cold days and nights ahead?

Lowell thanked us, smiled, and said, “God bless you all.” We drove away and left him to, somehow, find his way.  May we all show love and compassion to those whose paths we cross … even if all we have to give … is a wave or a smile.

Jeff adds this prayer... Dear Lord, the next time that I want to complain about something, please help me to remember about Lowell.  May his story make my heart more kind, more compassionate and more generous.  Even on, especially on Black Friday.  Amen.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: