Thursday, October 11, 2007

Belief in God

Yesterday in Cleveland, Asa Coon carried two handguns into his school and shot two students, two teachers, and then killed himself. He was 14 years old. 14.

The shooting came after a fist fight the day before. The fist fight followed an argument. An argument over the existence of God. Seems that Coon did not believe in God.

What do you say when children shoot people? What do you think when metal detectors, installed to keep guns out of school, are not turned on? Sometimes I feel numb to the problems of the world. Then I think of my children, sitting in class at their schools, and I don't feel so numb about the problem.

Asa didn't believe in God. I wonder if his parents were too busy to take him to church. I wonder if he played on lots of sports teams that kept him out of church. I wonder if they went out of town alot on the weekends. I wonder if Sunday was the only day that they had to sleep in.

I have seen people keep their kids out of church for many reasons. The kids usually don't grow up to be professional soccer players. Just like everybody else, they have to learn how to work, how to live and how to apply themselves to life.

I will tell you this, every child needs Jesus Christ. Every child needs a foundation of faith. Proverbs says, "train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Prov 22:6

Church seems like an inconvenience now, but the foundation of faith is essential for a meaningful life. Our faith takes us through times of loneliness, times of pain and faith helps us to see the good.

For heavens sake, take your kids to church and Sunday school. Help them find faith in Jesus Christ. You will be glad that you did.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.