Sunday, October 28, 2007

canoe trip

I went canoeing yesterday. Sorry I did not make a post. Should I feel bad if I can't make a post everyday? Hope not, didn't have internet yesterday at all.

Canoe trip. The outdoors. Nature. Beautiful river, trees and bluffs. Hanging with friends. You know, one of the reasons that we love friends, is because they will allow you to be yourself. They accept your brokenness, they empathize with your suffering, they understand your humanity. They accept you, warts and all. They give you grace.

Sleeping in a tent when it was really cold. Getting rained on, but surviving. Gathering wood for a fire. A really big, hot fire. Eating excellent food. Excellent food that someone else cooked! Friends. You can try your ideas on friends. They understand your emotions. They accept your silence.

Oh yeah, I caught four fish!

I guess the best part of the trip was hanging with friends. I guess the best parts of life is friends. Friends are one of God's special gifts. They are the most valuable thing that a person has. Doesn't that make it interesting, that God portrays himself, not simply as a big scary person, but as a friend. In John 15, Jesus said, "I no longer call you servants, but friends." That is good news. He accepts us. He understands us, he welcomes us. If we will let him.

Let him.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: