Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My friend died

One of the most painful statements in all the world. "My friend died." I heard it yesterday.

How do you console someone who has had a friend die? What are the right words to say?

I am sorry. I am so sorry. It will be ok. I know you don't see it now, but it will be ok. We are your family. We are still here. We love you.

Dying is what all humans do. I will, you will, we all will, and your friend did. I am sorry. I love you. Take in the love. Grieve. Cry. Its ok. Its normal. It hurts to lose someone we love.

People die everyday that we don't know, and it doesn't bother us. But when our friends die, we are broken. That is because we loved them. If we didn't love them, it wouldn't hurt. The hurt is a reminder of the deep love.

Pray with me.
"God I thank you for my friends. I thank you for their lives, as temporary as they are. Help me to trust in you, even when I have to say goodbye to them. I know that they are in a better place. I know that the world is still a good place."

In spite of the loss of loved ones, we still have love. We still have hope. Life is good. It is wonderful, it is glorious. That is why it hurts when it slips away.....it is a beautiful thing.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to say thanks. Speak to your friends. Be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for such amazing perspective. Again. I hate the pain. But the love is so worth it.