Tuesday, October 9, 2007

for the love of the game

Why do I love to play softball? I don't know. Why is it hard to give it up? Cause I just love to play.

As a young man, winning was important. Playing well was important. Now, I am just glad for a chance to get my swings in.

Sunday night was the last game of the fall season. Woodchucks vs Coyotes. I was looking forward to this. I loaded up my bat bag and was out to the park in plenty of time to warm up.

I got a couple of hits, I ran the bases. I made some outs. Gosh it was great to play. To hang with friends, to dog each other, and to care about one another. The weather was beautiful, it was a great night for ball. Brian C, who used to pitch for MU, pitched me an overhand fastball when I was up to bat. We all had a blast.

At the end of the game, we circled for prayer. "Thank you Lord for this day, for these men, for the chance that we have to play. Thanks for keeping us safe. Bless these men, bless their families. Amen."

Here is an amazing piece. It is the last game of the season. After our prayer, the umpires came up and said, "hey, we just want you guys to know that all of the umpires love to be assigned to your league. You guys are the best." Now, does that not bust your bubble or what!

We are providing some great stuff for men. I am older, I am slower, I have had shoulder and knee surgery. I don't know if I will play next year, but I hope that I can. There is a joy that comes from hanging with the guys and taking your turn at the plate. It's a great game. Its a great time. Life is good.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Lion's Den Man said...

Jeff,

Not to make lite of my comment on suffering, but those lyrics could apply to you, me and several other guys out on the field as well....

"You just got to see me through another day (season)....
My body's achin' and my time is at hand"............

We'll all be back next year.

Peace,
Lion's Den Man