Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween

When I was a kid, Halloween was cool. Next to Christmas, it was the best day of the year. I looked forward to it with great excitement. Back then, your parents didn't have to follow you around to make sure you were safe. As soon as they would let you out of the house, you bolted. Pillow case in hand, I hit every house in a four block radius.

I was pretty much a hobo every year. When I was in seventh grade I was a mummy and won "best costume" at a party.

Mom would always wait up to make sure we got home safe. Mrs. Davis, my next door neighbor, was never home on Halloween, so she would put out 30 snickers bars on a tv tray on her front porch. No one ever took more than one. It was a different time.

In the morning, Dad would pick through my stuff and take the hershey bars.

Some Christians are all against Halloween. The devil's day, and such as that. Well, when I was a kid, it was great. One of my best memories. I don't think it hurt me at all.

Tonight, don't pretend that you are not home. Get some candy. Turn on the porch light. You will make a lot of little kids happy.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Dave Templeman said...

I have similar memories about Halloween, except in Iowa it was always raining. Wait, I take that back, one year it snowed. But that did not deter us from running from house to house trying to get to as many houses as possible in an hour and a half. It was a candy marathon. Today I enjoy watching my children run up to the house, telling their joke and getting their candy. Some day my children will blog that their dad took all the Butterfingers. What a great evening to show God's grace by handing out some treats to young people. What a great evening to bond with your children & teach them to be as gracious in receipt as they are in giving. If it is indeed the "devil's holiday" then we Christians are ruining it for him.