Thursday, November 1, 2007

Westboro Baptist Church

These folks give the Christian faith a bad name. They are the ones that protest at the funerals of service men and hold up signs that say terrible things. "God is your enemy." "God hates fag lovers."

Well yesterday they were successfully sued for 11 million dollars. Maybe the good conscience of the community is finally finding a way to silence their hatred.

Life is too short to hate. There is nothing Christian about hating someone. The fact that we need to hate someone says a lot about the brokenness inside of us. Hatred is our heart saying, "how can you hurt me this bad, how can you do this to me. I am wounded. You are a jerk. I hate you." Did you hear all of the "me" in that?

I don't mean to make light of the pain that may be in your heart, but I do believe that when we begin to become whole, resentment and hatred begins to dry up. Love and understanding begin to come into the places once occupied by hate. That is a good thing. Its one of the byproducts of having the Holy Spirit at work in our hearts.

Replacing hatred with love begins when we choose to see the good. "you mean person who hurt me, I choose to see you as God sees you. I choose to understand that you are a broken carcass of a person. I begin to pray that God will bless you."

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

terry said...

I have to admit, I had an argument last night with someone. Someone who is deliberately and intentionally mean and hurtful. For a year, I have stayed away, not allowed myself to become engaged. He engaged me on a subject near an dear and precious to me.. and man.. I argued... I spent the rest of the night asking God to forgive me.. he showed me Colossians 2:20 "Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules" Thank you for the lesson, my Lord, who contines to show me to act in Love, to walk in Love... darn,.. I messed up. I allowed the negative, the "hate" so to speak to affect my actions....