Wednesday, November 21, 2007

KU-MU

Or is it the MU-KU game. Last night I met a friend who wanted to talk about some stuff. He is a KU fan, so I wore my KU windshirt.

Now lets be clear about whether I am a KU fan. I have an MU windshirt too. I have a CMSU sweatshirt. I have hats: Missouri, Michigan, K State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, St. Louis Cardinals, Royals, Cubs, You get me some stuff for your school or team and I will wear it.

What is the point? Life is about more than a sports team. It does not shore up my ego by my team doing well. I am not better or worse if they win or lose.

If I know that I am going to visit you and I have any of your teams stuff, I will wear it. I want you to be happy.

So I wear my KU windshirt to meet my friend who is a KU fan. No surprise, he is wearing his colors- KU.

We were minding our own business, talking about stuff that needed to be discussed. A couple of people that I know [not church friends] started giving me trouble. They were disappointed. Mean and hateful, because I was wearing a KU shirt.

Now I am serious. We are taking this too seriously. So seriously that we are forgetting what is important. Here is my point. If we relax about this, and remember that we are all souls, we have time to be nice. We have space in our brains for good thinking. We can share the joy of life instead of being snippy because someone roots for the wrong school.

This game is an exciting moment. Probably never again will it happen in my lifetime, both KU and MU in the top 5.

But. Yesterday I was at the cemetery. In 100 years, all the players and all of the fans will be buried in places like floral hills. This game will mean nothing then. But how we treat each other every day is where the rubber meets the road in the Christian faith.

Enjoy the game, but hug the folks that root for the other team. They are human beings too. Jesus died for them.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: