Friday, November 30, 2007

comment on a comment

A few days ago, in a comment, a friends wondered if I am depressed.

No. I am not.

I have the ups and downs. I assume that you do to. I talk to alot of people who are on medication for depression. It is different than having ups and downs.

I am reflective, thoughtful, sometimes sad, concerned or melancholy. But not depressed. I believe that we should do everything that we can to help ourselves be in a good mood. Having a positive attitude is such a blessing to others, and it is good for us too.

Not everyone is able to turn the corner, but all of us that can, should. An occasional down in the dumps is normal, but life is too short to be stuck in sadness.

When I am down, I think about the good. I also stay active. It is important to get to doing something. Sometimes just making a small difference or contribution to the world around you will bring you right out of the blues. Sometimes spending time with a friend will put an end to it. Do you have things that you do to pull you out of the blues? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Hello Bob my friend. You are on my mind today. You will be in my prayers today.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

I can't keep quiet on this one. Good to hear someone else can be "down" sometimes. I usually like to wallow in my "down-ness" for a couple of hours and then I have to find a way to get past it. There are so many things that help:

-Watching a video of the old Husker offence!
-Doing some old fashioned exercise
-Calling an old friend
-Pulling out some 2X4's and start pounding nails

But the best and most reliable, doing something nice for someone:
-Give a sandwich to a bum
-Say something nice to your nemesis at work
-Apologize for saying something stupid to a friend
-My favorite lately is to go to Wal-Mart or a big box store and pray for everyone I pass. You can't help but be at peace after doing that.

GB