Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bells are ringing


Saturday I rang the bell for the Salvation Army. I was at the grocery door at Walmart in Lees Summit. I kept looking at the ringer at the other door....100 yards away. Sure looks like Bill P. No, wait, that is Bill P and his son Tyler. How exciting. By chance, three ringers from Woods Chapel both ringing on the same day!

One of the things that I love about ringing is that it is a two hour period that it purely selfless. Just giving a bit of time to help the truly needy. Well, wait. I guess its not totally selfless. I get the satisfaction of helping. I get the joy of seeing generosity up close. Its a great feeling.

Now the story gets better. I received this email from Jennifer D:

"Devyn [daughter] and I rang the bell at Hy-Vee on Ward road on Friday morning. It was cold. Devyn only made it for the first 45 minutes, then Dave had to come get her. The donations to my bucket took a huge hit after she left. I guess I'm not as cute as Devyn :) Anyway, I had a great time ringing that bell. The only warm part left in my body was my heart. Many, many gracious people. Some not so much. I was thankful that I had a warm home and a hot cup of cocoa waiting for me. I'm sure this will become a family tradition for us."

Look at their picture. Could you pass by that kettle? I wonder if it would help if I took my 6'2" 180lb son with me? I think from now on I am going to borrow someone else's child to help me ring.

How exciting. Think how much help is being provided to the truly needy by Woods Chapel friends who are ringing the bell.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: