Friday, November 23, 2007

the big shopping day

This is it. The beginning of the shopping season. Time to collect more stuff that we don't need, and give it to other people who usually don't need anything either. We have stopped trading gifts with the cousins because it had just become an exchange of gift cards.

Everything you own, owns a little bit of you. You have to use it, or dust it, or move it or wish you were doing something with it. The simpler life allows you more room to love that which we should be loving.

What would happen if we stopped wanting things?

What if we wanted to walk with God, and that is all that we wanted? I know that humans are human. I know that they get off track sometimes. I do. But what if we purposed in our heart that we would seek the face of God. What if we chose to be less interested in stuff and more interested in loving God and loving our neighbor.

The world would be a better place. I am going to think about that today. Let's talk more about that tomorrow.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

terry said...

I often hear this sweet whisper in my heart that says "Use what you have, you don't need more, and give away what you don't use." I have put that into practice. It feels good. It feels right. That is one of the blessings that comes from struggling and suffering, you learn to appreciate what you have, to use what you have, and to try and bless those less fortunate. Even though I know someday I will conquer the financial struggle, I don't think I will change the way I feel about giving, and using what I have. Thank you God for the lesson. Thank you for changing me.