Thursday, November 8, 2007

Orion the hunter

I was 14. My friend invited me to join the astronomy club. Every week we went to a man's house to learn about the universe. The man, whose name escapes me, spent a couple of hours with us every week. I learned alot about the stars which I have forgotten, but I did keep a sense of awe pertaining to the night sky.

For some reason, the story of Orion the hunter has stuck in my head, and his image I will remember til the day I die. Orion is a winter constellation. He rises in the east and falls in the west. He is visible November thru April. He is visible now. Come over sometime and I will introduce you to him.

He is my friend. Every year since the days of the astronomy club, Orion has greeted the turn of the season. Year in, year out, he is always there.

I see him, and I think about the millions of ancients who gazed upon him in their lifetime. I imagine myself flying thru the stars. Someday I am going to do that. I think about the God who hung the stars. The God who owns the cattle on 1,000 hills. I stand in awe of him.

The heavens declare the glory of God. I am listening. I ask this God my questions. Sometimes he answers. Always, he comforts me. And the beat goes on. Year after year, he is there, he is constant. The God who put Orion into the sky. He always shows up. You can depend on him. Put your trust in him. He is faithful. Come over sometime and I will introduce you to him.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: