Monday, October 22, 2007

What makes a good day?

I listen to people all the time. If the chiefs win, I am happy. If they lose I am angry. If my kids behave, I am happy, I they don't I am stressed. If the sermon is good, I am full. If the sermon is bad, then I am empty. If the market is up, I am happy. If it is down, I am sad. If OJ goes to jail, I will be happy, If he doesn't I will be mad. If, if, if, if if if............

Lets see, what is the assessment of the weekend?

Blue Springs South football fans are happy.
MU fans are happy.
Nebraska fans are not.
KU football fans are real happy.
Jere Gish fans are not.
Chiefs fans are good.
Raiders fans are mad.
Red Sox fans are happy, very happy.
Cleveland fans, well, they can't believe it.

Today, this morning, are you happy or sad. Glad or mad? When will we learn to live beyond circumstances?

Just to be aware that this is how our brains work is helpful to me. To catch myself allowing myself to feel bad because something didn't go my way. Usually, that is all it will take. I see what I am doing and then I can put it in perspective.

12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:12-13

I remember my faith. My life is not directed by circumstances. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. Everything is ok. It is all good. As I see the face of my Savior, football and baseball, they find their place in the back seat of my concerns.

When we remember what is important, the sediment of life does seem to settle to the bottom. Let's not get lost in the things that don't matter. You are a Christian! You are dearly loved by God! You are on the winning team. Its good. Its all good.

Its a beautiful day in Gods world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: