Thursday, October 25, 2007

Greensburg, KS

Sorry I didn't write yesterday. I did not have access to a computer.

The church missions department had scheduled a trip to Greensburg. Friday, Oct 19-Sun, Oct 28. It was/is a great plan that covers a weekend, a week, and the following weekend. Several leaders will be there the entire time. Other volunteers can go for either weekend, the week in between, or any part there of. I would guess that 30 friends from WCC moved in and out of Greensburg during the trip.

I was going to go with Clay and Harry on Monday morning, returning on Wednesday, but the funeral service on Tuesday took priority. That is as it should be.

Anyway, I didn't think I would be able to go. Then I got a phone call. Jeff R from our church is going to fly down on Tuesday and return Wednesday night. I am in!

I packed very light. No computer. We left at 3pm and arrived in Haviland, KS at 6pm or so. Piper Lance. Nice plane. Thanks Jeff R.

We stayed in the UMC in Haviland. Lots of good fellowship after dinner. We went to bed, and woke up Wed am about 6am. We drove the ten miles to Greensburg. WCC was working on three different projects. I was assigned to work on the roof of the volunteer house. We worked hard. Man am I sore today.

People ask why Greensburg isn't put back together yet. Its been 5 months. Well most people don't realize that the tornado was 1.5 miles wide. It tore thru the entire town and leveled everything. Nine people were killed. When you see the damage, nine killed is a miracle. They scooped up all of the rubble from the tornado and carried it to the landfill. The remnants of 800 homes and many businesses. They lit the pile on fire. It burned for 39 days.

In one moment, the lives of 1400 people were changed forever. They will never be back to normal. They are going to have to get used to what ever a new normal looks like.

We think everything in our lives will just keep going as it is. We take so much for granted. Don't.

Be aware of your blessings. Thank God for them. Use your comfort to help others.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: