Monday, October 29, 2007

Daylight Savings Time

DST goes into effect this Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2am.

In the 1800's railroad schedules forced the adoption of "standard time." Trains had to run on a uniform schedule. Before then, every locale operated on local time. Sundials and the like.

During WW1, nations began to adopt daylight savings time to save energy.

For more information on this random topic:
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/index.html

So, I am on vacation this week. I haven't put my watch on yet. What if no one put their watches on this week? What if the time in Kansas City was not the same as the local Lee's Summit time? Would life slow down? Would our schedule relax a bit? It seems to me that it would be impossible to do all of the things that we are currently doing. We would ring the bells at church to let people know that it was time for worship.

I have come to believe that busy-ness is the enemy of the soul.


Yes, busyness is a word. http://www.m-w.com/

How busy are you? Are you so busy that you are not enjoying life? Are you so busy that you are exhausted? Asleep to the goodness and the grace of life? Slow down. Just do less. Your kids don't have to be on every sports team. You don't have to attend every party. Listen to your soul. Slow down.

Jesus said, come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Mt 11:28

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two things:

1. I love that you do this blog while you are "on vacation" and proceed to talk about busy-ness. :)

2. Why are you always in my head, knowing the muck that's in there? It's really kind of weird. I'm afraid that when I slow down, I'll just crash into a deep sleep and then I'll miss something...

I hope you rest a lot this week.

TW